Strictly Come Dancing pays tribute to Len Goodman
Anton Du Beke’s “nice” judging style has been slammed by former Strictly professional Brendan Cole.
Brendan, who was part of the BBC One show for 15 years, criticised his ex co-star Anton, who now sits on the judging panel alongside head judge Shirley Ballas, Craig Revel-Horwood, and Motsi Mabuse, as a replacement for Bruno Tonioli, 67.
In a chat with Sky Bingo, when Brendan was asked if he could see himself on the panel if one of the judges left, he said: “I would probably like to see me replace Craig [once he retires from Strictly] – but that’s a whole different world.
“Craig for me is a great judge on Strictly, my old favourite was always Len [Goodman], because Len gave a little bit of spice and a little bit of nice which made him the perfect judge, but with Craig, at least he gives a little bit of edge.
“A lot of these reality TV shows are lacking edge, from judges in general, and when I say edge – nice edge. You have to deliver things with a little bit of charm and humility, but still packing a punch.
“I think Craig manages that, certainly in the latter years rather than the early days.
READ MORE Strictly Come Dancing faces viewer backlash to ‘cringe’ judges’ dance[LATEST]
He concluded: “I think you need that from a television show otherwise it’s just dull. The show will need that bit of aggression replaced, otherwise you can’t have Anton being nice to every single person and then another person being nice to every single person – it will get boring.”
Brendan was one of the original cast members of Strictly when he joined the first show back in 2003. He was the first professional to win the BBC show, bagging the Gitterball trophy with newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky
He departed the show in 2018, as reasons for his exit remain unclear.
Addressing his time on Strictly, Brendan explained to MailOnline: “I came on the show [Dancing On Ice] hoping to show another side to me. Strictly only wanted to show one side to me.”
‘Scrap licence fee’ say BBC campaigners in face of Russell Brand sexual claims[LATEST]
Vanessa Feltz on Strictly: Can’t seem to recognise a single signing[COLUMN]
Eamonn Holmes admits being ‘helpless’ in update after ‘losing full mobility'[UPDATE]
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
“And they really pushed that side of me. There was very much a narrative that the show went with for 15 series. And it was tiring because it was actually not me.”
Meanwhile, although Anton is enjoying his role as a judge, he admitted to longing to be back on the dance floor. “I’m loving being a judge, but I am missing the dancing a bit,” he told Good Morning Britain hosts Susanna Reid and Richard Madeley last year.
Strictly Come Dancing returned to screens on Saturday night with 15 celebrities introduced and paired with their dancing professionals.
The dance couples were also revealed and fans got a glimpse of what they’ve all been working on as the famous faces took to the floor.
Source: Read Full Article