Selena Gomez urges fans to use ‘kind words’ after spotting ‘vile’ online hate
Selena Gomez addressed fans on TikTok Live this week in a serious post about “vile” online hate. The singer and Rare Beauty creator’s video surfaced just one day after Hailey Bieber discussed the timeline of her relationship with her husband (and Selena’s ex) Justin Bieber, on the “Call Her Daddy” podcast. Though Selena didn’t mention Hailey in the video, a slew of fans made it clear in comments on Twitter that they assume she was responding to hateful online reactions to Hailey’s interview. “I think some of the things that I don’t even need to be aware of are just vile and disgusting, and it’s not fair, and no one, ever, should be spoken to in the manner that I’ve seen,” Selena told fans on Thursday (Sept. 29), according to TooFab. “All I have to say is, it’s incredibly ironic that I would release something that is all about kind words, because that’s exactly what I want,” she continued, referencing her Rare Beauty line and its stated mental health mission. “If you support Rare, I cannot thank you enough, but know that you are also representing what it means. And that is — words matter …,” Selena added. “I just want all of you to know, that I hope that you understand that this is much bigger than anything else. And I’m really grateful to all of you for hearing me out. So, have a wonderful rest of your day.” In her podcast chat, Hailey said there was no crossover between her romance with Justin and Selena’s, despite what fans have long suggested on social media. Hailey also confirmed she’s been in touch with Selena in recent years. “That’s why I’m like, it’s all respect. It’s all love,” the model explained. “That’s also why I feel like if everybody on our side knows what happened and we’re good and we could walk away from it with clarity and respect, then, like, that’s fine.”
Keep reading for more news …
RELATED: Check out Selena’s evolving style since child stardom
Maren Morris defends ‘heated’ response to Brittany Aldean’s transphobic comments
Country star Maren Morris says she got “heated” when she responded to Jason and Brittany Aldean’s recent transphobic comments on Instagram because “we’re talking about people’s lives.” In a new interview pegged to GLAAD’s upcoming Spirit Day campaign to fight LGBTQ youth bullying, Maren explained that becoming a mom has “amplified” her “empathy bone,” making her more sensitive to disinformation, particularly when it comes to trans youth. “There are a lot of people that believe things that are just untrue about trans youth and gender-affirming care and what it actually entails,” she explained. “When we talk about having these hard conversations and doing it with a loving heart, yeah, it’s coming from a good place. But I don’t think you can do this all the time with sunshine and rainbows,” the singer added. “I think you need to have the tough conversations so people can understand what’s going on. You can save someone’s life by having the right information.” Last month, Maren called out influencer Brittany Aldean after she said in a makeup tutorial, “I’d really like to thank my parents for not changing my gender when I went through my tomboy phase.” Critics, famous and otherwise, immediately slammed Brittany for so casually dismissing issues around trans youth and their right to identify with whatever gender makes sense to them. (Brittany’s husband, singer Jason Aldean, chimed in to support his wife in the comments.) Over on Twitter, meanwhile, Maren told Brittany, among other things, “sell your clip-ins and zip it, Insurrection Barbie.” Maren was also asked about her recent comments to the Los Angeles Times about possibly skipping the Country Music Awards this year. “Do I feel like for three hours that night [I want to] have a weird energy with people?” she asked the GLAAD rep. “I don’t know.”
RELATED: Former ‘Idol’ finalist gets candid about his sexuality, plus more stars who came out as members of the LGBTQ community
Miles Teller broke royal protocolat ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ premiere because he got ‘lost’ in Prince William’s eyes
Woopsy. It seems Miles Teller broke royal protocol when he met Prince William and Duchess Kate at the “Top Gun: Maverick” premiere in London earlier this year. His excuse? He got “lost” in “Prince William’s eyes.” During a chat with Jimmy Fallon on “The Tonight Show” on Wednesday (Sept. 28), Miles admitted that he “messed up” immediately when he was introduced to the royals. “You’re not supposed to extend your hand right off the bat unless they do. But I felt the vibe, so I’m like, ‘I’m going in, I’m going in,'” he recalled with a laugh (via Entertainment Tonight). Despite being given a run-through of royal “dos and don’ts” prior to the couple’s arrival, Miles said he got thrown off when it came time to actually say hello. “To their credit, they were very disarming,” he explained. When Jimmy showed the audience a photo of Miles and William shaking hands, the actor joked: “I think right there, I’m honestly lost in Prince William’s, in his eyes … I mean, blue as the bluest ocean, Jimmy, what do you want? Bora Bora.” As for Kate, the star said she’s “beautiful and very cordial” and “regal” but “with William,” he added, “… I don’t know. I just blacked out.” Still, Miles thinks he has the prince in his corner going forward.”I think he’s a lifelong fan now,” he quipped. “I was just picking up what he was putting down.”
RELATED: Palace releases final portrait of Queen Elizabeth II
Anne Heche’s estate battle heats up as her son denies ‘vile’ claims made by the late star’s ex in new filing
Anne Heche’s 20-year-old son, Homer Lafoon, filed additional documents this week in his battle with Anne’s ex, James Tupper, for control of the late star’s estate. In the new filing, Homer takes issue with multiple aspects of James’ attempts to validate the terms of a document he says constitutes Anne’s will. James, who’s the father of Anne’s younger son Atlas, 13, previously claimed Anne emailed him a will in 2011 and asked the court to either appoint a “neutral third party private professional fiduciary or, alternately, himself as executor of Anne’s estate,” according to Entertainment Tonight. James also claimed in the filing that Homer wasn’t “suitable” to manage the estate because of his age, his unemployment status, his alleged estrangement from his mom before her death and his alleged lack of communication with his half-brother Atlas since then. Homer denies those allegations in the new filing, calling them “inaccurate and unfounded,” asserting that it’s James who interfered with his attempts to see Atlas that created any disconnect he now has with his little brother. Homer also calls the claim he was estranged from his mother when she died “vile” and false. Finally, Homer’s new docs assert the 2011 document Anne emailed James isn’t a valid will, as the signature on it is neither Anne’s nor was it witnessed by two people, as required by law.
Karl Lagerfeld inspires 2023 Met Gala theme
On Friday (Sept. 30), organizers of the annual Met Gala announced the 2023 event’s theme will honor late Chanel, Fendi and Chloe designer Karl Lagerfeld. Set for the first Monday in May, the fashion event coincides with an exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute called “Karl Lagerfeld: A Line of Beauty,” that looks at the journey of Karl’s designs from sketch to garment, according to the New York Times. Twitter’s reaction to the news was a (predictable) mix of glee and horror, with much of Hollywood seemingly avoiding the topic altogether. That’s probably because of the late designer’s reputation for making anti-Semitic, racist and “fatphobic” comments. “Oooh, people can show up on the red carpet and recite their favorite Karl Lagerfeld quotes about fat people, sexual assault, immigrants and the Holocaust,” griped one user. “So many to choose from. Bravo, Anna Wintour.” Others defended the choice and pointed to the designer’s undeniable impact on fashion history and the Met Gala itself. Celebs who’ve opted for Karl’s Chanel designs for the annual benefit gala include Blake Lively, Kristen Stewart, Mary-Kate Olson, Dakota Johnson, Penelope Cruz and Anna Wintour, who “almost exclusively wears Chanel Haute Couture to the annual fundraiser,” according to Page Six. The 2022 Met Gala celebrated “In America: An Anthology of Fashion” as its theme and saw Kim Kardashian infamously donning one of Marilyn Monroe’s most famous dresses for the red carpet.
Nick Cannon welcomes baby No. 10
Nick Cannon’s family has grown once again. The “Masked Singer” host announced the birth of his tenth child — his third with Brittany Bell — on Friday (Sept. 30), a “fellow Libra” named Rise Messiah Cannon, according to a post on Nick’s Instagram. “Another Blessing!!! As my journey on this planet becomes more and more remarkable and unfathomable, all I can do is thank God and continue to ask the Most High to order my steps,” Nick wrote, adding an acknowledgement that his brood’s “dynamic” is “to some unimaginable.” He went on to gush about everything Brittany has taught him about “about parenting, psychology, spirituality, love and just life in general,” and described the “BlessingWay” they held in lieu of a traditional baby shower. According to Nick, Rise’s birth was “probably the most difficult labor and delivery” he’s ever seen … and he’s seen, um, quite a bit. Rise was born less than two weeks after Nick welcomed a new baby girl, Onyx Ice, with model Lanisha Cole. He’s reportedly expecting his eleventh child soon, as well — with Abby de la Rosa, who shares twins with the television personality. In July, model Bre Tiesi gave birth to Nick’s son, Legendary Love.
Ed Sheeran’s Marvin Gaye copyright case will head to trial, judge rules
Shakira’s not the only celeb facing a trial in the coming months. A judge has ruled Ed Sheeran will stand trial on allegations he ripped off Marvin Gaye’s 1973 hit “Let’s Get It On” for his song “Thinking Out Loud,” Entertainment Weekly reports. The singer’s legal team had asked to have the suit tossed on grounds there’s no copyright available for chord progression and harmonic rhythm, the aspects of Ed’s song that are being contested. “There is no bright-line rule that the combination of two unprotectable elements is insufficiently numerous to constitute an original work,” the judge wrote, in part. Ed was first sued over the song’s alleged ties to Marvin Gaye’s classic track in 2016; EW reports that case has yet to be settled. The case headed to trial was filed two years later by a company that owns a portion of the music written by the plaintiff in the previous case, a co-writer on the Marvin Gaye song, according to EW. The trial date has not yet been announced.
Source: Read Full Article