A family say their Tenerife holiday swiftly turned into a 'disaster' after they all fell sick days into the trip.
Scott Lewis said he and his family were all hit by diarrhoea and vomiting on the all-inclusive holiday to the Spanish island.
Mr Lewis said the family had been looking forward to the break for months but he, his wife and his two children developed gastroenteritis just days after arriving, reports Wales Online.
Scott said: "The illness was absolutely horrendous and although it was difficult for all of us it was particularly hard seeing how badly the kids were affected but knowing there was very little we could do about it."
Scott, his wife Katherine, 38, and children George, 11, and Edward, three, planned a 12-day stay at the Holiday Village Hotel in May, but quickly began experiencing the symptoms of a stomach bug.
Have you been on a 'holiday from hell'? Email [email protected]
Scott, 42, said: "A few days into the holiday my elder son became ill and subsequently we all became ill – severe diarrhoea and vomiting constantly until we came home."
The family had to call out a doctor to their hotel room to treat the children.
Scott said the children were prescribed medication but that they remained unwell for the rest of the trip.
"It got so bad at one point that we had to get a doctor to come out to the hotel," Scott said.
"He prescribed us prescriptions for medications and said it was basically gastroenteritis but he wouldn't be able to tell us what was causing it."
Scott, who works as a pharmacist, said he was particularly worried about Edward who nearly had to go to hospital.
"[The doctor] was concerned about my youngest who is three. He was concerned he was dehydrated.
"He said if that was going to continue he would have to be hospitalised and he would have to go on a drip," he said.
"It didn't, fortunately, get to that point."
The family also said they had concerns about the pools, where they claimed there was a strong "drain smell".
"I was quite concerned about the pools because they were closed I'd say about half the days we were there," Scott said.
"They were cordoned off, closed and cleaned, and then reopened the following day. We were told it was because people were defecating in the pool.
"I didn't see any signs of that but they were definitely closing the pools – and we had all used the pool."
The family also claimed they saw vomit on the resort paths and in a communal bathroom.
"On one occasion, I had been in to the main complex. There were toilet facilities there and someone had been sick all over the floor and in the toilet quite a lot as well," Scott said.
Scott claimed his family were not contacted about a sickness outbreak, or advised on what the best course of action would be if they were feeling unwell.
Scott said: "We're not sure if [people were ill with] the same kind of thing as us, but we never really found out more than that. We were confined to our room."
The family are now taking legal action against TUI through legal firm Irwin Mitchell.
Scott said the illness continued after he and his family returned home from the holiday, with his son George experiencing symptoms for several weeks afterwards.
Scott said at one point George was admitted to hospital after vomiting blood.
"Being on holiday and being confined to your room is one thing, but when you come home and it just carries on to the same degree, it's just a very stressful time for family, and upsetting," he said.
"We were all looking forward to the holiday, the kids especially. It had been nine months in the planning and it was something we were all looking forward to as a family.
"I've been to quite a few places, but I've never experienced anything like this. It turned out to be a disaster really.
Source: Read Full Article