It's become Netflix's "biggest series ever" – but how much do you know about period drama Bridgerton?
The show has hit the headlines thanks to its raunchy sex scenes, which actress Phoebe Dynevor admitted left her embarrassed to watch.
The streaming giant has revealed 82million homes around the world tuned into the show in its first 28 days.
Here Daily Star joins high society with 15 facts about the programme…
1. The show has been adapted from a series of best-selling historical romance novels by Julia Quinn and follows members of the Bridgerton family as they navigate London society in the 1800s.
2. Phoebe, 25, plays Daphne Bridgerton who is on the hunt for a husband and British-Zimbabwean actor Regé-Jean Page, 31, is her love interest, the Duke of Hastings.
3. It is narrated by the mysterious Lady Whistledown, who writes regular gossipy newsletters. She is voiced by Sound of Music star Julie Andrews, 85.
4. It is produced by Shonda Rhimes, who created medical drama Grey’s Anatomy and political thriller Scandal. She has been praised for its “colour-blind casting” which has used black actors in roles traditionally played by white stars.
5. There were a whopping 7,500 costumes and pieces of jewellery made for the first series and Phoebe had 104 dresses, all made from scratch.
6. After being cast, Phoebe and Regé-Jean had six weeks of prep before filming began, involving dance, piano, writing and horse riding lessons, plus costume fittings and etiquette classes.
7. The pair’s first day on set, and Phoebe’s opening scene as Daphne, was when they have sex in the library.
8. Jonathan Bailey, 32, who stars as Anthony, originally auditioned to be Simon, the Duke of Hastings.
Bridgerton series 2 confirmed as Netflix renew mega hit period drama
9. And Golda Rosheuvel, 49, who plays the scene-stealing Queen Charlotte, first tried out for Lady Danbury, Simon’s commanding godmother.
10. Jonathan’s first day on set involved Anthony and Sienna having sex against a tree. The actor joked he got to know the make-up department “intimately” because they had to “de-shine my bottom”.
11. Boxer Will Mondrich is based on a real fighter called Bill Richmond. Born a slave in New York, he lived most of his life in England, becoming a champion bare-knuckle boxer and the first black sporting superstar. He was even an usher at King George IV’s coronation.
12. Derry Girls star Nicola Coughlan, 34, got offered the role of Penelope after just one audition. She was given heels to wear to bring her level with other cast, but the idea was abandoned when she fell over three times on the first day.
13. The ball hosted by Lady Danbury was filmed on location at the Bath Assembly Rooms, where actual Regency balls in 1813 took place.
14. As a wrap gift for the first series, Luke Thompson, who plays Benedict, drew everyone portraits and Regé-Jean has his displayed in his home.
15. Filming for the second series will start in the spring and will focus on Anthony Bridgerton’s romance.
Source: Read Full Article