Dan Walker has said he is glad that fellow contestant Ugo Monye has left Strictly Come Dancing.
Last night, the rugby union player, who was partnered with Oti Mabuse, was the latest celebrity to leave the BBC show. He was bottom of the leaderboard with the lowest score and had to take part in a surprise dance-off against CBBC presenter Rhys Stephenson.
But sadly, all four judges voted for Ugo, 38, to leave after he danced the rumba with Oti.
He was out of action last week, too, with “agonising” back pain.
After Sunday’s show, Dan told BBC Breakfast he was “relieved” that Ugo would be able to go home and sort his injury, sustained from rugby, out properly.
The 44-year-old said: “In some ways, I’m glad that he doesn’t have to dance anymore because I don’t want him to get hurt.”
“He’s been brilliant,” he said on Monday’s Breakfast programme. “And Oti’s done a great job with him.
"Ugo’s had all sorts of back problems during his career. He was fit to do the programme, but some of the stuff… it is a strain on your body.”
The rugby star spoke about his old injuries to Rylan Clark on It Takes Two last week.
He said his back pains have been a recurring problem but was “looking forward to getting back onto the dance floor on Saturday”.
Following his vote off, Ugo said: “I’ve loved it. It’s an absolute privilege to be on this show and all I’ve wanted to do every week is just get a little bit better and I’ve done that.”
Monye’s professional partner, Oti, 31, won the 2020 series with Bill Bailey.
About Monye, she said: “I stand here in this very moment feeling very, very grateful. I am so grateful to be partnered with you. Thank you for having me as a teacher, as a trainer.
“I am grateful for the show – to say I work on the best show in the whole country, with the best celebrities is a privilege and I am very grateful to Ugo, thank you.”
For more of the latest showbiz news from Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
Source: Read Full Article