PAUL O'Grady has revealed his new BBC show after his departure from Radio 2 raised an ageism debate online.
The 68-year-old British comedian and TV host, who worked there for 14 years, announced he was quitting the radio station in August 2022.
Ahead of his last show, O'Grady said he had decided to leave the programme as he "wasn't really happy" with the new arrangement.
Speaking to his producer, Malcolm Prince, as he ended his final show on Sunday, he said: "This is the last Sunday Paul O'Grady show here on Radio 2 ever.
"It's hard to say this, Malcolm, because it's been almost 14 years hasn't it.
"Do you know this is one of the longest jobs I've ever held down. I only came to do a few hours for Elaine Paige and look what happened."
Read More on Paul O’Grady
Paul O’Grady joins BBC rival and lands brand new show after Radio 2 exit
Paul O’Grady, 64, steps down from radio show amid coronavirus crisis
His last show included many of his popular segments, including providing the recipe for a Hawaiian-style cocktail and paying tribute to listeners' pets who have recently died.
But, he has now confirmed that he has a brand-new project in the works that will air in the upcoming weeks.
Paul will host a weekend show on Boom Radio, and it's been reported that the show will have a significant component of his previous show.
"It's great to be working with the team at Boom again. It already feels like my new radio home," Paul told the MailOnline.
Most read in TV
The Chase contestant dies a week after show aired by ITV
Love Island couple announce shock SPLIT days after awkward reunion appearance
Beloved BBC One drama axed as lead star says 'we won't do another series'
Vera star quits ITV hit with emotional statement – leaving fans fearing for show
O'Grady is the latest established presenter to leave the station, after Steve Wright, 68, was replaced by Scott Mills, 48, after 24 years on the network.
This comes after the BBC was embroiled in an ageism controversy earlier this year, when Ken Bruce left Radio 2 to join Greatest Hits Radio.
The 71-year-old turned down a new contract after becoming concerned by the corporation’s drive for younger talent, The Sun can reveal.
Following an exodus of older stars — all over 60 — the presenter will join Greatest Hits Radio in April, taking his cult quiz segment Popmaster with him.
Source: Read Full Article